[sc34wg3] SAM 3.4.4 Reification and 3.4.5 Properties

Martin Bryan sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:50:08 +0100

Luis wrote
> | Also, I see the utility on an item like an Association having a
> | property of [reifier] to find out more information about it through
> | the topic. But, I don't see the utility of a topic having a property
> | of [reified]. That is what the topic does. It reifies subjects. Why
> | the distinction between reifying a topic map item or an external
> | information item?

and Lars Marius elaborated:

> Because only the first is reification as that word is generally used.
> The second case is just ordinary representation.

I'd always been under the impression that the only reason you needed to
reify a topic was if you wanted to make a reference to that topic as part of
the topic. What does "ordinary representation" mean Lars Marius?

Martin Bryan