[sc34wg3] Reading, commenting - and responding

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:14:25 -0400 (EDT)

> Sam
>
> > Even more than THAT, I would like to see TMA#2 and its mapping to the
> > RM.[*] It doesn't need to be complicated (in fact, the simpler it is, the
> > better, probably). What it *should* be is something other than a mere
> > subset of the SAM. Once that's on the table I think we might actually
> > be able to arrive at a real consensus.
>
> Could I ask you to go one stage further and, rather than make the second
> example a simple one you try to desribe the original HyTime version of 13250
> using TMM. To me the ability to bring together a TMM for SAM and/or XTM and
> one for HyTM would be the proof that TMM really does make life easier for
> all concerned.

You can certainly ask ;-)

Seriously, all of us are experiencing bandwidth difficulties in the run-up
to London. (What would be great is if those interested could get round a
whiteboard and work on this face-to-face.)

Rather than the entire HyTM, I wonder if a simple HyTM example
(illustrating the use of architectural forms) would meet the case? Could
you propose one?

(

Martin:

Your unquoted use of "TMM" [nee "RM"] allows me to make what I hope can be
treated as a passing observation that our renaming of the "RM" was in no
way meant to usurp the decision-making functions of the Committe but was
instead meant to indicate the subject matter of the document, and in
particular to underline the supportive nature of the relationship between
the TMM and TMAs including the SAM. Now that the new title appears in
context, and can be tested in usage (as in this mail), the Comittee will
be better equipped to make this decision.

)

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

Co-editor:  ISO Reference Model for Topic Maps
  Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.gooseworks.org
  XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.