[sc34wg3] Re: integrating all TMAs

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:36:15 -0400 (EDT)

My .02 Euros --

One bottom line on Jan's post is that the RM is not meant to be an
alternative to or in opposition of the SAM.

It would be a really bad thing for topic maps if recent friction on the
list has obscured this substantive technical point.

The RM is entirely designed to support the SAM (the chief among TMAs). If
the RM doesn't do that, it needs to. This is why a detailed,
clause-by-clause review of the RM text from the SAM perspective is so very
important as a means of reaching consensus.

Another way of making this point is that RM people are SAM people. We have
had to be. All on its own, the RM doesn't *do* anything. We need TMAs to
do that, and of necessity our first TMA has always had to be the SAM!

Usual qualifier about the SAM *document* may have issues of its own, using
the RM to reason about the SAM may cause concerns to be discovered, etc.,
etc., blah blah blah -- I can't figure out how to say this without
creating the perception of sarcasm, so I won't, and hope the bottom line
comes through...