[sc34wg3] to advance Topic Maps

Michel Biezunski sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:16:47 -0400

>*Michel
> >
> >I think when you qualify the SAM as a "very robust piece of computer
> >science"
> >you are exactly right. And this is exactly the problem. I do not
> think that
> >topic maps have anything to do with computer science.
>
> If this is the case, then the Japan national body would be
> required to quit
> work in Sc34 right now.
>
> Our obligation is to work in IT and to bring new technologies to the
> marketplace through the development of international standards to
> stimulate
> the Japanese economy.
>
> Our sponsor is METI  The Ministry of Economics Trade and Industry.

Mary,

I don't understand the point you are making. Why would the METI not
want to develop a standard that is aimed to provide an answer for
information interchange.

Schematically speaking, information has two aspects: the technology part
and the knowledge management. Are you saying that anything that has to do
with knowledge management is not supportable by the METI? I can't
understand what would be the rationale to do so.

> >I think they aim to
> >represent knowledge units (aka subjects) in the most interchangeable way
> >possible.
> >This is not something that has any relation with computer
> science. It has to
> >do
> >with "What do you mean when you say this?".
>
> This is the philosophical aspect and is needed, but it is not directly
> applicable  to objectives that we have here in Japan, anyway, as
> specified
> by METI, actually.
>
> I think we need to look at the actual objectives of individual national
> bodies that participate in the committee, and exactly what JTC1 ISO
> standards bodies are.
>
> I would not want to put this in a report to METI that this is what our
> committee is about.

So what are the goals of METI then? Can you be more
explicit? Why would not commerce benefit from people
knowing what they are exchanging? I don't get it, sorry.

Michel
Michel Biezunski
Coolheads Consulting
402 85th Street #5C