[sc34wg3] Rich resource data

07 Apr 2003 23:39:04 +0200

* G. Ken Holman

| I'm guessing that because of the restrictions of DTD semantics,
| resourceData is restricted to be #PCDATA only.

True, but not only for that reason. This is actually an open issue
before the committee, and one which will be discussed in London.

| Given that RELAX-NG is becoming ISO/IEC 19757-2 we now have an ISO
| standard with which to express richer constraints on content.  Has
| any consideration been given in WG3 to expressing the constraints of
| resourceData as unconstrained content of any text or foreign non-XTM
| hierarchical vocabulary?

The answer is that the authors of the SAM and XTM specifications have
considered this and found it feasible, but we've made no specific
recommendations on this point. There are benefits to allowing this,
but there is also significant cost.

| I can imagine wanting to keep stylesheet fragments, XHTML fragments
| and other rich XML-based content as data in my topic map to be
| exported in an XTM instance.

Yes, the list of use cases is long. Very long, in fact.