[sc34wg3] Merging issues in SAM

Bernard Vatant sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:16:18 +0200

4.3  Merging Topic Maps

"The procedure of merging two topic maps uses two topic maps, a master topic map (A) and a
subordinate topic map (B). All information items in B are merged into A, and A contains
the information from both topic maps after the merge is complete.

1. Set the [topics] property of B to the union of the [topics] properties of A and B.
2. Set the [associations] property of B to the union of the [associations] properties of A
and B.
3. Apply merging to the [topics] property of B until no duplicates remain.
4. Apply merging to the [associations] property of B until no duplicates remain."

Should not it be:

1. Set the [topics] property of A to the union of the [topics] properties of A and B.
2. Set the [associations] property of A to the union of the [associations] properties of A
and B.
3. Apply merging to the [topics] property of A until no duplicates remain.
4. Apply merging to the [associations] property of A until no duplicates remain."

4.6  Merging association items

Is this section conformant to XTM 1.0 Annex F.2.4 Association equality principle ?

As a matter of fact, F.2.4 makes pretty obvious sense to me, whereas SAM 4.6 is quite
opaque:

"Two association items, A and B, *may* be merged by following the procedure below ..."

Under which necessary/sufficient conditions? Does that mean they never *have* to? Do I
miss something?

Thanks to enlighten me ...

Bernard