[sc34wg3] Topics and Subjects clarification

Patrick Durusau sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:34:49 -0400

Lars,

Not sure if the following will help with the topics vs. subjects debate
but here is one suggestion:

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

>* Bernard Vatant
>|
>| I agree with definition of subject in ISO13250.
>| But not with reference to real-world in SAM, which is not employed
>| in 13250, [...]
>
>SAM contains the word "real" in one place: in the first informal
>paragraph of the introduction. If you want to criticize the SAM,
>please make sure you get it right.
>
>I'm not happy with the sentence that says topics are symbols
>representing real-world things, and would welcome suggestions for a
>better way to put it informally without being actively wrong.

The latest SAM draft says (in the first informal paragraph):

> Topic maps are organized around topics, which are symbols representing
> real-world things, associations representing relationships between the
> things, and occurrences, which connect the topic map to information
> resources pertinent to the topics.

Which I would re-word to read:

<revision>Topic maps are organized around topics, which are assertions
about subjects, associations representing relationships between topics,
and occurrences, which connect the topic map to information resources
pertinent to the topics.</revision>

In other words, all statements about subjects are made via the mechanism
of a topic. No topic, no subject. No topic, no assertions.

Further, in 3.4 Topic items, you say:

> *ssue (term-subject-def):*
>
> Should the standard say as little as possible about the nature of
> subjects, or should it be more detailed in order to provide guidance
> to readers? The current text is detailed, but may be too much so.

Should say almost nothing about subjects other than they are represented
in a topic map by topics.  This is the topic map standard and not the
"true world view epistemology standard."

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
Director of Research and Development