[sc34wg3] SAM-issue psi-generics (was: SAM-issue term-scope-def)

Bernard Vatant sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:25:26 +0200

> *Lars:
> > I think this is a philosophical point of view that might have some
> > validity, but it doesn't fit very well with how topic maps have been
> > defined up to this point. So far topic maps have said topics represent
> > subjects, and subjects are real-world things.

*Nikita
> I must have missed it. Did we put this in XTM standard?
> Where is the equivalence between subjects and real-world things is stated?

There is no reference to "real world" in ISO13250. After Paris meeting in January 2001, I
remember asking that any reference to "real world" should be removed from the spec, and
there was an agreement on that.

And indeed there is no reference to real world in the definition of "subject", but there
is still one reference that seems to have escaped the clean-up in section 2 - Concepts

"A topic is a resource within the computer that stands in for (or "reifies") some
real-world subject. Examples of such subjects might be the play Hamlet, the playwright
William Shakespeare, or the "authorship" relationship."

Bernard