[sc34wg3] Mathematical model (was SAM-issue term-scope-def)

04 Jul 2002 18:56:20 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| A model theory sounds good, but I know we have some graph-heads in
| the room, and I'm not really competent to judge which will better
| serve our needs. Attempts to enlighten me on the issue are welcome,
| of course. :)

* Bernard Vatant

| A graph model is certainly what is most natural and understandable,
| for all reasons I've already mentioned, among which legacy of
| powerful algorithms.

I'm not so sure any of this is very different from what you'd find for
a model theory. It would be nice if you could write up your arguments
somewhere, though.

| Remember I've been working on one proposal, athough I got stuck at
| some points, and it figures they are points that are also issues for
| SAM, e.g. scope and templates.

Scope we have noted, but "templates" is not noted as a formal SAM
issue. If you feel it should be, please explain what the issue is.
(I did note the "merge-use-of-schemas" issue, but if this is a
different one I'd like to hear about it.)

(You can find the issues either in the SAM document, or listed at

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Should a mathematical model build on SAM or the RM? I don't
| know. For all I know it may be the bridge between them.

* Bernard Vatant

| Hmm. That does not make much sense to me. I would tend to set the
| question the other way round : Should SAM and RM be built on top of
| a mathematical model? And of course to answer "yes"

Depends what you mean by "on top of", I guess. For my sense of "on top
of" we'd have to have the mathematical model first, and there seems to
be little chance of that.

* Lars Marius Garshol

| It may be that the time for WG3 to decide that there will be a
| mathematical model has come. Or it may be that we should wait for a
| volunteer. It should be discussed, anyway.

* Bernard Vatant

| Great. BTW do you mean a volunteer for building a model, or a
| candidate model?

I meant the first (that's what WG3 needs), but both are certainly
welcome. Creating candidate models is a good way to move towards an
official model.