[sc34wg3] SAM-issue psi-generics (was: SAM-issue term-scope-def)

03 Jul 2002 21:59:22 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Yes, but instanceOf assignment is a statement about the subject
| represented by the topic, not about the topic. (Just as with all
| other characteristic assignments.)

* Marc de Graauw

| You are right.

Good! (For a moment I worried that I might not be.)

BTW: One thing is agreeing that the definition of this PSI is broken.
Another is deciding what to do about it.

Personally, I would prefer to just drop it from the standard. It lives
in XTM 1.0; those who want can use it, but the brokenness is at least
removed from the standard

(This applies to the #occurrence and #association PSIs as well. I am
not sure they suffer from the same breakage, but I don't see why we
should spend electrons on them, either.)

Opinions very much wanted. If we can close this issue without spending
more meeting time on it that would be great.

| P.S.: Of course you realize this means we will have to rename the
| standards "Subject Maps", since they can hardly be said to provide
| information about topics ;-)

Whooops. XSM (sounds kinda kinky), HySM (not much better), SMQL, SMCL,
solog, LSM (whoops, name collision)...

I don't know, Marc. On the one hand it would mean that domain names
would be up for grabs again (good for some), but on the other hand it
would make us look sort of funny.

I can enter it as an issue, if you like?