[sc34wg3] SAM-issue term-scope-def

02 Jul 2002 19:21:44 +0200

* Bernard Vatant

| I think all the debate is useless until we formally clear out the
| meaning of several things:
|
| 1. What does "A is valid" mean?
| 2. What does "S applies" mean?
| 3. What is the logical status of "when"?

Excellent! This brings us another step forward.

I think anything we say about 1 is going to be only so hot air in any
non-mathemathical specification (and that's what this is). For all
practical purposes it means "A is seen as true".

2 and 3 are very interesting, however. What they imply to me is that
we need to define the notion of a context in which topic
characteristic assignments are evaluated. They are either considered
valid (if the scope matches) or invalid (if the scope does not match).

It's not that I disagree with your maths, Bernard, or that I don't
want to use maths, but I think we need to either have a spec
completely grounded in maths or completely divorced from it. That's
why I like this approach: I think it would allow us to clear this up
in the natural language specification (SAM) and give a future
mathematical specification something more precise to start from.

Does that make sense to you, Bernard?