[sc34wg3] Need definition of "Assertion" in Reference Model

01 Aug 2002 16:56:25 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| I think that "assertion" as used in the RM is much the same term as
| "assertion" or "proposition" used in logic. That is, it is a
| statement or claim, which is true or false.

* Sam Hunting
|=20
| FWIW (and I know as much about formal logic as I do about Japanese)
| I'd be very reluctant to make this claim except on the grounds of
| connotation, rather than denotation.=20

That was what I was thinking, but I expressed it rather clumsily. My
mind was elsewhere right then (and still is). Anyway, thanks for
correcting me.

| At least, the RM has no notion of truth value (though applications
| might).

Agreed. Your namesake SAM may get it; we'll see in Montr=E9al.

--=20