[sc34wg3] Need definition of "Assertion" in Reference Model

01 Aug 2002 16:27:19 +0200

* Mary Nishikawa

| I guess everyone is busy to leave for the meetings.

Correct. :)

| I will need to report on the Reference Model and SAM at the next
| Japan sc34 meeting and we were discussing how to translate
| "assertion" properly in the context of the Reference Model.

I think that "assertion" as used in the RM is much the same term as
"assertion" or "proposition" used in logic. That is, it is a statement
or claim, which is true or false.

Note that I might be wrong; I'm no expert on the RM.

| The translation in one dictionary for "assertion" has this kanji to
| represent it.
| It is also defined as, "to claim one's point; insistence." Does this
| capture the meaning of "assertion" in the Reference model?

I think it does not do so precisely (Sam's comment pretty much
describes my reaction). It might be good to see what is used to
translate the terms "assertion"/"proposition" in logic into Japanese.