[tmql-wg] Error conditions

Geir Ove Grønmo grove at ontopia.net
Thu Mar 15 08:32:11 EDT 2007

On 3/15/07, Lars Marius Garshol <larsga at garshol.priv.no> wrote:
> * Geir Ove Grønmo
> >
> > In the hope that it might be useful for the discussion, the new JDBC
> > 4.0 specification has rearranged the java.sql.SQLException class into
> > two different types of exceptions:
> >
> >  - transient exceptions
> >
> >  - non-transient exceptions
> This is a categorization that adds value, I agree. The trouble (from
> our point of view) is that query errors are all non-transient. TMQL
> doesn't deal with transient errors at all.

Note that tolog *does* can trigger transient errors. Here's an query
that *can* trigger such an error:

  $ONTOPIA = i"http://www.ontopia.net/"?

*Iff* there is no topic with the given subject identifier in the topic
map then a transient error will be triggered. If suddenly someone adds
the topic to the topic map the query will suddenly work.

> Those are an API/ implementation issue.

Yes, but as you see above there *can* be transient errors that are
triggered based on the contents of the topic map. I do not know TMQL
well enough at this time to say whether this is the case for TMQL.

> > E.g. syntax errors are considered non-transient errors.
> Exactly. And type errors, and incorrect parameters, and ...
> Transient errors are things like network failure, out of memory, lock
> timeout, etc.

Geir O.