[tmql-wg] Error conditions

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Thu Mar 15 08:13:45 EDT 2007

* Geir Ove Grønmo
> In the hope that it might be useful for the discussion, the new JDBC
> 4.0 specification has rearranged the java.sql.SQLException class into
> two different types of exceptions:
>  - transient exceptions
>  - non-transient exceptions

This is a categorization that adds value, I agree. The trouble (from
our point of view) is that query errors are all non-transient. TMQL
doesn't deal with transient errors at all. Those are an API/
implementation issue.

> E.g. syntax errors are considered non-transient errors.

Exactly. And type errors, and incorrect parameters, and ...

Transient errors are things like network failure, out of memory, lock
timeout, etc.

--Lars M.