[tmql-wg] Error conditions

Geir Ove Grønmo grove at ontopia.net
Thu Mar 15 08:02:44 EDT 2007

On 3/15/07, Lars Marius Garshol <larsga at garshol.priv.no> wrote:
> * Robert Barta
> >
> > Hmmm, that might take the sting out of specifying every detail. So,
> > maybe a handful of 'major' error classes.
> I would be less concerned about this. If the right set of classes is
> chosen, it needn't cause any problems for implementors.
> It still seems like a waste of time to me, because I can't see that
> it achieves anything. But at least it seems like a smaller waste of
> time, and one that doesn't cause problems.

In the hope that it might be useful for the discussion, the new JDBC
4.0 specification has rearranged the java.sql.SQLException class into
two different types of exceptions:

  - transient exceptions

  - non-transient exceptions

This is a coarse categorization of errors, but it is very helpful when
dealing with them in real-life applications as you will know whether
it is makes sense to retry the query or not. If the error is
non-transient retrying the query just won't work. E.g. syntax errors
are considered non-transient errors.

Here's an article about it: http://www.onjava.com/lpt/a/6676

Geir O.