[tmql-wg] TMQL Issue: Functions and Predicates as first-class topics

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Thu Mar 15 07:42:46 EDT 2007

* Lars Heuer

> - The TM-ish style adds some syntactic noise to functions / predicates

Yes. IMHO this is an important point, and it's why I'm opposed to
this. This is a real downside, and the benefits to using CTM are
negligible for the users of TMQL.

> - Slower to parse

I don't think we really care about this. Parsing speed is unlikely to
be a serious challenge for TMQL, and in any case I think you'd find
it hard to prove that the CTM syntax really is slower.

> - Scope?
>   The examples I've seen so far are all in the unconstrained scope.
>   What happens if the type-instance relationship is scoped? Under
>   which conditions are the functions / predicates are executed?

Argh! It would be nice if we didn't have to think about that.

--Lars M.