[tmql-wg] TMQL Issue: Removal of EVERY clause

Robert Barta rho at bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 10 00:28:15 EST 2007

For this one, actually the impact on the language is quite
small. Maybe the impact for a user should be regarded 'medium'.

Larsbot suggested this, I hope I have not misunderstood/misrepresented

TMQL Issue: Removal of EVERY clause

Impact on Language: medium

In the Leipzig meeting it was discussed that the EVERY clause is only
a syntactic variation of the SOME clause. Every EVERY can be
transformed into an equivalent form using SOME:

      every $p in // person
      satisfies $p / born

   ==> not
           some $p in // person
           satisfies  not $p / born

And hence, EVERY can be removed.

Following this argumentation much of the language can be removed. Also
SOME is just a variation of FLWR:

   some $p in // person
   satifies $p / born

   for $p in // person
       $p / born

And FLWR expressions can be transformed into path expression, etc.

Structured Discussion
? Removal of EVERY clause
  + minimal smaller language
  - users have to twist their brains to get the NOT right