[tmql-wg] Every thing is a 'thing'

Robert Barta rho at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 9 17:52:57 EST 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 12:59:17PM +0100, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Robert Barta
> >
> >Right. Or we could take the viewpoint that
> >
> >  where
> >      $thing isa tm:topic
> >
> >gives all topics and
>
> The trouble with this one is that if we return the "drrho" topic here
> we claim that you are a topic, but as far as I know you're actually
> *not* part of any topic map, but rather a living, breathing person.
> So that would be semantically wrong. :-/

You now completely derailed me :-)

Under tm:topic [ TMDM interpretation ] I understood

   3.18
   topic

   symbol used within a topic map to represent one, and only one,
   subject, in order to allow statements to be made about the subject

So with

   where $thing isa tm:topic

I will never get a living, breathing person, but only 'symbols within
a topic map to...'. And in TMQL-land this is the topic item.

> The easiest type of question on earth is questions of the form
>
>   "Is X a 'subject' in the Topic Maps sense?"
>
> The answer is always the same: yes. (Just read the definition.)

> Values are subjects, you are a subject, the question of whether
> values are subjects is a subject, the bottle of beer next to my
> laptop is a subject, Topic Maps is a subject, ... "Any thing
> whatsoever," right?

OK, if 'everything' in the universe is meant, then a query for it is
probably useless inside a TMQL query. I would hate it as a person if I
would be have to be passed through a Java interface. I do not like
that.

Maybe ask the other way round: Do we have a term for 'all items in the
topic map'? Not necessarily including the data values, which are not
_items_ according to TMDM.

> >>Whooops. Does this mean that you intend for it to be (2)?
> >
> >I'm just asking. If atomic values _are_ subjects, then it would be
> >(2), right? And if not, then probably (3), I guess.
>
> You mean the other way around, right?

Hehehe, it seems that we have to work on the semantic grounding of
Topic Maps :-)))

> Anyway, the question here isn't just what the semantics are, but also
> what we *want*. And I think we want something that produces all
> topics, period.

Yes we need something for

  - all items in the map                (tm:subject??? not sooo good)
  - all topics                          (tm:topic)
  - all assocs                          (tm:association)
  - all names                           (tm:name)
  - all occurrences                     (tm:occurrence)
  - maybe all 'names+occurrences'       (?????)
  - something else?

Have to break here and will come back to the rest later.

\rho