[tmql-wg] TMQL, next round

Robert Barta rho at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 7 05:22:27 EST 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 05:48:34PM +1000, Robert Barta wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 07:10:23PM +1000, Robert Barta wrote:
> > I will also post the above issues here, one by one. ......

What about something more philosophic ;-)

   TMQL Issue: Is everything a 'thing'
   ===================================

   Impact on Language: medium

   Background
   ----------

   TMDM defines the concept subject, but it say nowhere that all
   things in the map (topics and associations, for instance) are
   'subjects'. And it also does not say that all classes are
   subclasses of 'subject'.

   Now, what should a TMQL processor deliver here:

      select $thing
      where
         $thing isa tm:subject

   Or this would get you all things in the map

      // tm:subject

   and if * is just a shorthand for tm:subject then also

        is-employed-at (* : tbl, organisation: $o)

   works as expected.

   Structured Discussion

      ? Should all map items be an instance of tm:subject implicitly
        + tm:subject is a great placeholder
        - TMDM does not say it (or does it?)

      ? Should all topics be a subclass of tm:subject implicitly
        + tm:subject is a great placeholder
        - TMDM does not say it (or does it?)

\rho