[tmql-wg] TMQL, next round

Robert Barta rho at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 7 04:00:25 EST 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 11:31:45AM +0100, Gabriel Hopmans wrote:
> Before you are going to talk too much too yourself and listing the issues
> one by one..

Well, I do not have a problem with talking with myself. I even mostly
agree with myself these days ....

> ..... For instance a SUMMATION function on financial data is very
> essential. Customers need to see the ROI of Topic Maps :)

I do not know what you refer to as 'financial data', but as far as normal
addition is involved, then

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#aggregate-functions

over sequences definitely make sense to me.

> The only question is then which pretty basic functions and predicates do we
> need and which one are more typically in the direction of an 'ontology
> definition language'.

Yeah, someones 'basic' is another one's 'advanced'. Whatever we do here, it
will be wrong. People call this a 'tradeoff' :-))

> By the way very cool work on TMQL and impressive issue list.. lot of high
> impacts ;)

Well, at least there is a choice there. But even if nothing were
decided in the issues list, TMQL is fully functional as it stands. So
the issues list is an option to make it better. Or worse ;-)

\rho