[tmql-wg] TMQL: How to query TMRM?

Robert Barta rho at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 4 04:48:08 EST 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 01:49:18PM +0100, Lars Heuer wrote:
> I wonder if it is possible to query TMRM with TMQL? While TMQL uses
> aspects of TMRM it seems not to be possible to work on the 'raw'
> TMRM proxies. Is my suspiction right?

Yes, TMQL as it stands is "TMDMish".

> So we need Yet Another Topic Maps Query Language (YATMQL) which is a
> superset of TMQL to query TMRM?

Hmmm, good question. The question is then, in which way is TMQL
"TMDMish"? One obvious answer is 'in the various navigation axes',

because it is them along which users move along the data model. This
may not sound like much dependency, but there is also the connection
with TM content which - written as CTM - will be very TMDMish. The
rest of the language is mechanics.

So my hipshot is:

  - incoming: navigation
  - outgoing: TM generation

If these would be replaced with TMRM concepts

  - incoming: TMRM navigation
  - outgoing: TMRM 'notation' such as

>        {(shoesize, 43), (beardcolor, white), (beardlength, verylong)}

then you might get closer to a TMRM/QL.

> The proxy neither has a subject identifier, nor subject locator nor
> item identifier.

Right, subject identification is covered as navigation. So either this
will be replaced with something else, or completely disappear.

[ Not quite, there is one shortcut in TMQL so that you can write

to identify a subject without the longwinded

    "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U2" ~

So this would have to go as well. ]

> It has just a label and its properties. Is it possible to fectch the
> proxy via TMQL and inspect its properties?

No, but this is where I would use my own set of navigation, probably
just stealing what is in TMRM at the moment.