[tmql-wg] subjectIndicatorRef and resourceRef in TMQL

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@ontopia.net
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:15:03 +0100

* Rani Pinchuk

| Is it true to say that the current TMQL candidates don't try, for
| example, to find a base name with a scope which is defined by
| resourceRef or subjectIndicatorRef tags?
|
| Can someone explain why?

This has to do with the difference between the data model and the
syntax. (I get the feeling you would really benefit from studying the
TMDM and the XTM 1.1 specification.) Any <resourceRef> or
<subjectIndicatorRef> found outside <subjectIdentity> is effectively
the same as

  <topicRef xlink:href="#foo"/>

  ...further down (or higher up)...

  <topic id="foo">
    <subjectIdentity>
      ... subjidref or resref here...
    </subjectIdentity>
  </topic>

| Do we expect that the TMQL engine will always reify scopes,
| instanceOf (of topics, occurrences and associations), members and
| roleSpecs when parsing the XTM?

Yes, that's pretty much it.

One way to learn how this works may be to download the Omnigator and
use the Canonical XTM export option there, which will show you the
data model instance created for that topic map quite clearly.