[tmql-wg] Toma - Use Cases Solution

Robert Barta rho@bigpond.net.au
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 12:08:32 +1000

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 01:28:24PM +0100, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> | If the feeling now is that it worth to work on this section then (a)
> | Lars and I (I guess I can speak for him here) are happy to take
> | input or (b) can certainly put some effort into these.
>
> I think tightening them up to the point where all lists of topic
> [T1...TN] and scope S etc are replaced by specific topics is all that
> needs to be done.
>
> Our only problem is that if we want to make the use case solutions
> document an official document for the Amsterdam meeting we have to
> send it in by Tuesday. So this may be difficult to do in the time we
> have left.

Hmmm, right. I see it as a minor issue (most of them are so trivial
that the transformation you suggest above can be left to the reader).

> | [ Digression:
> |
> | From a architectural point of view, one might be sceptical whether
> | TMQL should really fully support these queries, in the sense "simple
> | query = short query":
> | ]
>
> I don't really see the problem. How does disallowing these queries
> help with that?

Did I say 'disallowing'? I said "fully support these queries, in the
sense "simple query = short query".

That is to say: If a language happens to have short statements for
these queries, it is a nice side effect. What I would not suggest is
to tune the language for these queries as they undermine large-scale
optimization in real applications.

\rho