[tmql-wg] Result set requirements

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@ontopia.net
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:15:29 +0100

* Robert Barta
| But someone could argue that you are introducing through the back
| door a TM update language: You have a TM information item and you
| would like to modify some aspects of it.
| I think we need that at some stage, but this is certainly nothing I
| would do ad-hoc.

Not only that, but I'm not sure I'd do it at all. I discussed this
with Geir Ove today and we both found ourselves thinking that simply
removing the old items and adding new ones might be cleaner and

For one thing, if a base name is reified and a query suddenly changes
its [value], then what? Can we know that the reification is still OK?
>From a semantic point of view delete/add seems much safer.
| I would VERY MUCH prefer this in TMQL at this stage. Mostly because
| it makes clear that the language remains explicitely "functional"
| (copying and cloning and modifying has this "side effect" touch).

Yes. And "side effects" are not nice.
| I think we should drive something like this forward.

What is "something like this" here?