[tmql-wg] aliases

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@ontopia.net
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:32:04 +0100

* Robert Barta

| OK, as Lars already said, that the variant (I desparately hope that
| this 'unfeature' will go away at some stage and will be replaced by
| typed basenames :-) is flattened out.

It's not easy to remove something once it's gone into an ISO standard,
I'm afraid. If you want to make it a long-term goal we can discuss it
in Amsterdam, though.

However, typed basenames will not be able to replace it entirely,
because variant names have a relationship to the individual base names
they belong to, because they are a variant of *that* base name, and
not some other base name. So throwing away variants does lose that
particular ability. Whether it's worth the complexity it entails is a
different issue, of course.

| In my current AsTMa? implementation, the query engine keeps track in
| the atomic access patterns which queries do agains a map. I have not
| spent much benchmarking, but according to these statistics the
| low-level database engine can defer that it would pay off to create
| an index for particular access patterns.

Yep, that's one of the benefits of a query language.