[tmql-wg] Basename duplication ... ?

Lars Marius Garshol larsga@ontopia.net
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:55:42 +0200

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Yes. You can even have different topics in the same topic map with
| the same basename. TMDM gives the rules for this.

* Michael Chapman

| But, where does XTM 1.0 say that?

XTM 1.0 says that topics that have the same base name string in the
same scope must be merged. TMDM, which supersedes XTM 1.0, has removed
this restriction.

| O.k., TMDM is ISO13250 ?  If so is 2002 the current version?
| (19 May 2002 is the latest I have found.)

TMDM is going to become ISO 13250-2. There will be a new version of
ISO 13250 that TMDM will be part of. TMDM is currently at the
Committee Draft stage, but moving to Draft International Standard.

See <URL: http://www.isotopicmaps.org/sam/ >.

| "This International Standard does not permit two distinct subjects
| to have the same name characteristics ...."  (final (non-note)
| paragraph of 5.2.3.

I would ignore that, if I were you. This must be from the original ISO
13250, which defines the HyTM syntax. The language in there is not
very good, and quite likely to mislead you.

| I see nothing about different topics with the same basename, rather
| I see "that author cannot use the same name for any two different
| subjects" (note 31).

Ditto.

| Either I have the wrong edition of ISO13250 or I am not
| understanding something fundamental .... ....  (but neither of those
| explain the wording of XTM 1.0 ...)

You do have the edition of ISO 13250 that formally speaking is in
effect, but the new ISO 13250 will replace all the text of the
original, is much clearer, and is what people follow anyway, so I
would look at the new edition rather than the old.

| (Mind you section 5.2.3 seems to contradict itself in one place:
| "A topic may have zero ... topic names" (first sentence) and
| "the basename .... at least one of which is required" (note 28)!
| MC)

As I said, that text is not very good.