[tmql-wg] Result set requirements

Dmitry dmitryv@cogeco.ca
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:40:46 -0500

On Feb 26, 2004, at 6:30 PM, Robert Barta wrote:

>> I just copied sample with "good formatting":
>>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/dmitryv/TopicMaps/TMPath/
>> TologBasedCostructorsSample.htm
>
> Dmitry,
>
> That does not look like XQuery at all :-))
>
>    topic($JournalPaper,$NewTopic){              ## we construct new
> topic based on existing one and
>                                                 ## $newTopic binds to
> it
>             retract publication-date($Self,_)   ## delete some
> assertions from $newTopic
>
> Cloning nodes and adding/retracting information looks very complext to
> me. And, more generally, it facvours those transformations where there
> is a lot of similarity between incoming and outgoing information
> (read: ontology).
>
> Not sure, whether this is good and bad.

I decided to add "coping with small modification" just because I think
it will be typical pattern.

But it is possible to use coping and pure constructors without
modifications.

> I think I discussed this a while back with Lars on IRC, that
>
>   - Once we decide to generate something fancier than lists,
>
>   - we _HAVE TO_ commit ourselves to a notation for that.
>
> [...]

> For TM it is ....hmmmm?
>
> Of course I used AsTMa= for AsTMa? All other approaches will have to
> come up with some syntax as well.

I have less concerns about specific notation here. It can be LTM, AsTMa
= - based.

I would probably prefer Python-like syntax :-) ,  something like this:

topicMap:

  johnSmith:
       bn="John Smith"
       who[is-author-of]:
            id=paper2004-02-26
            bn="Some paper name"
            oc::publicationDate="2003-09-03"

But...I think important idea is that TMQL should have rich
"constructor" part.

Dmitry