[tmql-wg] Proposed requirements: Operations on primitive types

22 Jul 2003 13:52:33 +0200

* dmitryv@cogeco.ca
| I personally think that it is very important for real scenarios.

That does seem to be the consensus.

| I really like the way it is done in XPath 2.0.
| 1) for literals it is possible to use constructors: xs:date('1993-08-01')
| 2) dynamic type converters such as:  number(price), date(birthdate)
| 3) 'instance of' operator which allows to verify that operand is of specific
| type

Hmmm. This is rather different from what XPath 1.0 did, and which I
always liked very much. Could you say something about why you think
this is superior? (I see the benefit of 3, of course.)
| I think that, again, XPath 2.0 provides a good example of
| demarcation line in terms of number of implemented operators and
| functions.

I'm tempted to agree. Certainly it would be difficult to argue for the
exclusion of anything that is in XPath 1.0, except possibly for some
of the string operations.