[tmql-wg] Proposed requirements: Operations on primitive types

21 Jul 2003 16:33:04 +0200

One issue we have not discussed so far is to what extent we should
support primitive types and operations on them. That is, should a
query be allowed to interpret internal occurrences as containing
numbers? Dates?

And, if we support this, should we also support operations on these
values? That is, basic arithmetic functions on numbers like plus,
minus, multiplication, etc? String operations like those of XPath?
Date functions? Regular expressions?

It seems clear that there's a nearly infinite list of things we
*might* include, but that we have to draw the line somewhere. The
question, as always, is where.

Opinions, anyone?