[tmql-wg] Proposed new requirement: Ability to produce textual output

02 Jul 2003 11:56:49 +0200

* dmitryv@cogeco.ca

| It depends on what you mean by "output". I personally in favour of
| "basic" TMQL which transforms/filters TM into TM based on SAM.

Right. I don't see that as being about "output", which would be
turning result sets into something that could go into a file. What you
say here is to me about result sets, which is what output is produced
from.

| As soon as we have filtered TM we can apply different plug-ins to
| get real "output". Some TM manipulation languages can have these
| features bundled together. In other cases we can rely on regular
| languages "glue".

Agreed, but the question is what we require from the standard TMQL.

| I also see huge value in developing something like TMTL presented in
| http://www.ontopia.net/topicmaps/materials/tolog-for-tmql.pdf .

There seems to be general agreement that we either need something like
TMTL/XSLT, or something like the approach taken by XQuery/AsTMa?.

| I just think that well defined TM->TMQL->TM transformation is much
| more important than TM->TMQL->XML, TM->TMQL->HTML or TM->TMQL->Text.

I would agree with that. If we can't do proper querying then producing
output from query results is completely useless.