[tmql-wg] Proposed new requirement: Ability to produce textual output

01 Jul 2003 17:20:45 +0200

I've been at a rock festival since last week which is why I haven't
replied before, but I'm now back--sunburnt, blistered, hung over, and
with buzzing ears--ready to continue the discussion. :)

Here's an attempt to summarize the thread:

 - There seems to be agreement that it would be good for TMQL to be
   able to produce output. Unless anybody screams I'll put this in as
   a SHALL requirement (other alternatives would be SHOULD or MAY, but
   there seems no reason to choose those if we all agree).

 - On whether it should be able to produce non-XML output there seems
   to be much less agreement. We have me for, Graham and Chris
   seemingly semi-positive, and Magnus and Robert in favour of leaving
   it for XSLT to do post-processing.

   It seems to me that we should resolve this by saying that we SHALL
   produce output and SHALL support XML output (escaping, namespaces,
   DOCTYPE, etc) and not say anything about non-XML output. If it
   turns to be easy and natural to do we can do it, and if it turns
   out to be difficult or cause problems we can skip it.

 - On which part this should go into I'd say there was no clear answer
   :-), which leaves me to think we should leave this open.

Thanks much to Magnus, Chris, Robert, and Graham for replying.