[tmql-wg] Proposed new requirement: Database implementation

Kal Ahmed kal@techquila.com
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 19:43:08 +0100

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

>As part of an effort to update the old TMQL requirements document[1] I
>will be starting a series of threads dedicated to new requirements as
>well as changes to the existing ones. This is the first in that series.
>

>Proposed new requirement:
>
>  - "It should be possible to implement TMQL efficiently on top of
>    existing database systems. In particular, it should be possible to
>    compile TMQL queries to equivalent SQL queries where SQL has the
>    necessary functionality to do so."
>
>Comments, anyone?

It seems to me that this is more an implementation requirement than a
requirement of the language itself. Why choose SQL in particular ? Why
not OQL ? Why not XQuery ? Why not MyQueryLanguage ?

The TMQL working group should be experienced and adult enough to realise
that they need to create something that is implementable - I don't think
that we should pile on them requirements that they write our SQL queries
for us too ;-)

Cheers,

Kal