[tmql-wg] Proposed new requirement: Database implementation

Robert Barta rho@bigpond.net.au
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 22:01:34 +1000

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 06:35:10PM +0200, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> As part of an effort to update the old TMQL requirements document[1] I
> will be starting a series of threads dedicated to new requirements as
> well as changes to the existing ones. This is the first in that series.
>

> Proposed new requirement:
>
>   - "It should be possible to implement TMQL efficiently on top of
>     existing database systems. In particular, it should be possible to
>     compile TMQL queries to equivalent SQL queries where SQL has the
>     necessary functionality to do so."
>
> Comments, anyone?

May I add a small thought-example:

  Let's assume we are living in the pre SQL times and all we have are
  MSDOS and Amiga file systems. So now this guy next door has the idea
  that SQL should be built. We write in our requirements document:

    "....and SQL has to be built in such a way that it can be
     efficiently built on top of an MSDOS file system...."

I am not sure what historians would think about this in 10 years. I
appreciate the interest to map everything into RDBMs, but I am not
sure whether this concern should have a very high priority.

\rho