[sc34wg3] Reflection and Merging

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Wed Apr 11 15:14:54 EDT 2012

Greetings!

I haven't even begun to run down the references and other reading but I
caught a video on reflection in Scala and it struck me as having a great
deal in common with Newcomb's notion of subject identifications being
composed of other subject identifications.

Thoughts/comments?

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

PS: The video:
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Lang-NEXT/Lang-NEXT-2012/Reflection-and-Compilers

PPS: And I am looking at Brian Cantwell Smith's "Procedural Reflection
in Programming Languages."
http://publications.csail.mit.edu/lcs/specpub.php?id=840

Is "reflection" in Brian's sense what is missing in most semantic
mapping applications?

That might be a winning argument to make to DARPA since they are still
big on the AI stuff. Argue that "reflection" is what we want to fill in
"above" the use of terms in a system. The part that is currently missing.

Logic doesn't qualify because it can only fill in from the top down.
Never from the bottom up. ;-)

(Warning: I may trademark those two sentences and sell them to a
unspecified large vendor. You have been warned.)

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick at durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
OASIS Technical Advisory Board (TAB) - member

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau