[sc34wg3] Feedback on TMCL draft 2009-10-19

Robert Cerny robert at cerny-online.com
Mon Dec 21 10:37:26 EST 2009

Hello all,

I hope this reaches the editors and is interesting to others as well.

1) http://www.isotopicmaps.org/tmcl/2009-10-19/#sect-
subjectidentifier-constraint
The example would allow the empty string to be a valid subject
identifier. Is the empty string a valid subject identifier?

2) http://www.isotopicmaps.org/tmcl/templates.ctm (dated  2009-10-19)
I think the name "constrained-statement-type" would be more
appropriate than "constrained-statement". In statements of this type,
the players of the role "constrained" are statement types and not
statements. Same goes for: constrained-role, other-constrained-role.
"constrained-topic-type" sends the right message, IMHO.

3) http://www.isotopicmaps.org/tmcl/schema.ctm (dated 2009-10-19)
a) The schema allows types (e.g. topic types, name types) only to
play the role "containee" one time at most. Why should a type not
belong to more than one schema?
b) The meta schema included in the draft is missing the statements
about tmdm:schema. schema.ctm does not miss them.
c) The headline "UNIQUE VALUE CONSTRAINT" does not match the name of
the constraint "unique-occurrence-constraint". If the role-
combination statements are correct, the headline is right and "unique-
value-constraint" would be correct.

4) Variants are left out completely. If that stays, then "occurrence-
datatype-constraint" could be renamed to "datatype-constraint".

I discovered some errors (syntactical and semantical) in
templates.ctm and schema.ctm. Additionally i must take this
opportunity to speak for the rights of role types. They have the
right to a name! :-)
Attached you find an archive containing the original and the patched
versions which i could load into tinyTim.

Regards,

Robert Cerny

Software Development
http://www.cerny-online.com