[sc34wg3] More thoughts on Dublin Core

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at garshol.priv.no
Sun Jul 29 12:27:17 EDT 2007

I've read Steve's paper about Dublin Core which he submitted to TMRA
2007, and this brought up some more issues.

I'll read Lutz's paper as soon as I can.

--- dc:language

Dublin Core recommends using RFC 3066 language tags, but N0884
recommends using an association. These decisions do not harmonize
completely. Neither the paper nor N0844 elaborate on this, but I
think the full draft will need to.

We also need to consider the OASIS PSI set in this context.

--- NULL

N0844 is silent on the treatment of missing/unknown information, but
will need to be more specific. The example in the paper (section 4.4)
seems to imply that the string "Not applicable" should be used to
represent NULL for string values, but is silent on the handling of
omitted associations.

This may be useful reading in that context:
   http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/51.html

--Lars M.