[sc34wg3] One standard or several?

Mason, James David (MXM) sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:25:45 -0500

I've already declared myself to be of the one standard, multiple parts
school. If it defines Topic Maps, it ought to be one standard. If something
has to conform to it (whether for interchange syntax or interpretation of
what do do when one gets something in that syntax), it needs to be one
standard.

Lars Marius offers several options below. Like him, I think some of them
(particularly "a" and "b") are pretty bad. His "c" takes us back to where we
were in 2000. His "d" is where I thought we were headed until Charles
started pushing the multiple standards bit. It's what we drafted the NP for,
though we eventually checked a different box about what the results should
be. I agree that "e" would be a mess. I don't think we have an option to do
"f" (it's possible to turn a failed DIS into a TR, as WG2 did with Font
Services, but not to turn a published IS into one).

If what Lars Marius says in one of his most recent messages about the
relationship of the current syntaxes to SAM and thence to RM is accepted, I
think we can get to "d" in steps. That is to say, we can publish the SAM and
RM, then revise the current 13250 and split it into syntax, tutorial,
conformance, and whatever else. Until then, the current 13250 can stay where
it is, and people can conform to it as best they can.

I really don't like multiple standards, particularly if there are strong
dependencies among them. It's one thing to say, for example, that the
interchange syntax for some data structure makes normative reference to
UNICODE, a separate standard, and an entirely different sort of thing to say
that the semantics of an interchange syntax are in a standard with a
different number.

Jim