[sc34wg3] a new name for the Reference Model

Sam Hunting sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 12:00:48 -0500 (EST)

> Looks promising to me.
>
> Ann W.
>
> Steve Pepper wrote:
>
> You convinced me. Simplicity is a virtue as well. Let's
> look at *these* two names side by side:
>
> (1) Topic Maps Metamodel
> (2) Topic Maps Information Set
>
> (a) We seem to have agreed that the "RM" really is a model

"We" != all posters to the list, of course.

>      whose purpose is to allow the definition of other
>      models (such as the "SAM")

Things such as the SAM, plural, yes.

> and that, as such, it is
>      most accurately called a "Metamodel". Pretty much
>      everyone seems to have overcome their fear of that
>      term now.

I'm not sure that I accept the characterization of "fear" as a basis for
questioning the terms "model" or "metamodel."

I (and others) are more concerned with whether the words "model" and
"metamodel" are meaningful and useful to do the work we have to do.

Given the lamentable record of language abuse in the IT industry outside
of ISO, the burden of proof is on the "metamodel" advocates to prove their
case by pointing to generally accepted definitions of the two terms that
they propose.

Google gives me http://www.metamodel.com/ right away -- looks like the
term is from the world of UML practitioners. If so, where do we go in that
world to get the terms and definitions?

Sam Hunting
eTopicality, Inc.

P.S. Incidentally, I'm really pleased that the "IAM" acronym seems to have
gone away. It's hard enough, on this side of the water, to convince people
that topic maps aren't some sort of cult without uttering what some could
interpret as a reference to Exodus 3:14 every time I refer to one of our
standards using its name in short form.

"Turn your searching experience into a finding experience."(tm)

Topic map consulting and training: www.etopicality.com
Free open source topic map tools:  www.gooseworks.org

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.