[sc34wg3] SAM-issue term-scope-def

Nikita Ogievetsky sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 07:31:12 -0700

I am with Lars and Kal on this.
In around 70's in USSR people got the notion
of a new plastic and aluminum millennium and threw away antic and
highly valued bountiful things of bronze, cupper, silver and even gold.
Nobody could ever understand russian soul but lets not run after plastic.
(I hope you know what I mean)
It is very useful but not for everything.

Bernard, I do not see your problem:

"Henry is King of Navarre and King of France from 1589 to 1610"

<association>
    <instanceOf><topicRef xlink:href="#king-of-a-country"/></instanceOf>
    <member>
        <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#role-king"/></roleSpec>
        <topicRef xlink:href="#henry"/>
    </member>
    <member>
        <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#role-country"/></roleSpec>
        <topicRef xlink:href="#navarre"/>
    </member>
</association>
<association>
    <instanceOf><topicRef xlink:href="#king-of-a-country"/></instanceOf>
    <scope><topicRef xlink:href="#from-1589-to-1610"/></scope>
    <member>
        <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#role-king"/></roleSpec>
        <topicRef xlink:href="#henry"/>
    </member>
    <member>
        <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#role-country"/></roleSpec>
        <topicRef xlink:href="#france"/>
    </member>
</association>

I was proposing structured scopes two years ago (as I think many others did)
But that proposal was put on a waiting list.
Ands I must admit that I had waited quite successfully.
Lets use scopes for what they are good for (like in Lars's examples for
example)
for everything else there are association members.

For distinguishing roles of scope themes there is the topic  typing
mechanism.
(type of topic that plays the role of scope theme).
Primitive but works.

--Nikita.