[sc34wg3] SAM-issue term-scope-def

Graham Moore sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:37:14 +0100

Hi,=20

Bernard I think I share your position here - I think this is effectively =
what I said in my small paper on Is Scope Bogus? i.e. that scope is no =
more than a lazy way of stating things about associations and that =
really to be useful associations should be further qualified by other =
associations.

I would like us to try and get some consensus on this idea and put =
something into the spec to reflect this. I dont think we need to ditch =
scope just make it very clear that its a sloopy way to work. I think we =
do this by defining something like the scope assoc example bernard =
provided and say 'this is what scope is, but as you can see its not very =
expressive'. Users of topics maps will then have all the info about =
whats really going on and if they want fairly useless bags of topics =
then fine, if not we'll have much better maps.

I also think this goes hand in hand with ditching the topic naming =
constraint as a MUST do and introducing typed names instead of scoped =
names.

If I can give a short example about the names,

topic t1 has name n1.
n1 has scope of (t2, t3)

Scope on names is used in 2 ways:

1. to type
2. to qualify the topic

i.e.=20

'gra' scoped by {shortname} is a typing action

'granada' scoped by {city} is a topic qualifying action

I think that in the first circmstance what you are doing is typing the =
name. The second example is just awful - what is really being said here =
is that the TOPIC not the name has some relationship with 'city'.

I would like to see that when someone queries a map with a topic name =
they can get back multple topics.

i.e query =3D> get topics by name 'Washington'

Washington (located England)
Washington (located US)

and I would be horrified if all the names of these topics were scoped by =
some topic that should really be associated properly with the topic.

gra=20