[sc34wg3] SAM-issue term-scope-def

Bernard Vatant sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:53:53 +0200

Hello all.

Lars Marius asked me on another forum to bite here. Well, I was very uneasy with that
issue until yesterday night, then I got the following idea(s), which maybe could help.

Sorry, it's a bit long. But I tried to be very explicit. Thanks for your time and
attention.

I've figured so far scope as a bag where you could put so many different things that no
general rule how to process it could be really set, other than arbitrary or "less evil",
as Lars Marius tried to figure below . But in fact there is a way to entangle that, if you
begin by expliciting the implicit (meta)association expressed by scope. The role-players
of this (meta)association are:

1. The scoped assertion itself (reified)
2. The elements of the scope set (scoping topics)

Note that "assertion" in 1 is to be understood in the most generic sense: any assertion
that can be scoped, including regular associations, topic-name and topic-occurrence
associations.

If the role of the first member (assertion) is clearly specified (scoped), the role of the
scoping members are not specified, further than "scoping" ... which is a very poor
semantic indeed. That's where the issue comes from. If you specify, like in any regular
association, the role of scoping topics, things become clearer and the conclusion is
easier to draw and quite natural.

Let's take an example. "Henry is King of Navarre and King of France from 1589 to 1610"

Express that using the basic assertion "Henry is King", the rest of information being
expressed as scopes. Note BTW that this assertion can be expressed like a regular
association between Henri (person) and a status (King), or the attachment of a name
(Henri) to a topic (King) ... and that it does not matter in fact. In any case, we have
three scoping elements : France, Navarre, and the time span.

Clearly, the two former have a "space" role, and the latter a "time" role in the scoping
meta-association. So if you express it explicitly, quite obviously you have the following
members:

{Henri is King} (scoped assertion)
{France, Navarre} (space scope)
{1589-1610} (time scope)

Now it figures that scopes playing the same role are first gathered by a "OR" (union?),
and resulting sets (members) are gathered by a "AND" (intersection?) to get the global
scope. More precisely:

"Henri is King" is valid if ("space belongs to Navarre" OR "space belongs to France") AND
"time belongs to 1589-1610".

It figures another thing. Asserting a scope seems to be in that case setting implicitly
the domain of two variables, "space" and "time". The nature of those variables are
expressed by the role specifications in the meta-association.

If we try to draw a general rule for that:

If : the scope set is S = {Ai, Bi, ..., Xi, ...}
where A, B, ..., X are scoping variables and Ai, Bi, ..., Xi values of those variables.
Then : the scoped assertion is valid if
AND( A belongs to {Ai}  ,  B belongs to {Bi}   ...   X belongs to {Xi} )

It seems that this is very generic, the scoping variable-role, besides time and space,
could be language, source, thesaurus, market sector ... whatever. Of course, this rule can
be applied if roles of scoping elements are specified. Maybe the standard should be
extended to include that? From a syntax viewpoint, it would mean allowing <member> as
child of <scope> ... Sorry to speak syntax here :))

What about now unconstrained scope and merging? The original source(s) of merging being
added to scopes as reified topic maps in the merged map, as I suggested in a previous
post, seems consistent with that. The original topic map plays role "source". In the above
example, you could add to scope that the assertion (unauthorized) source is "TM-BV".
So, after merging, you would have another member in the scoping meta-association:

{Henri is King} (scoped assertion)
{France, Navarre} (space scope)
{1589-1610} (time scope)
{BV} (source scope)

If you have the same assertion confirmed by "Larousse 1972" (just checked), this will be
added to the source member:

{Henri is King} (scoped assertion)
{France, Navarre} (space scope)
{1589-1610} (time scope)
{BV, Larousse} (source scope)

Well. I think that makes it for my 0.02 Euros.

Bernard

Bernard Vatant
Consultant - Mondeca
www.mondeca.com
Chair - OASIS TM PubSubj Technical Committee
www.oasis-open.org/committees/tm-pubsubj/