[sc34wg3] Which set is the unconstrained scope? (SAM-issue 'scope-unconstrained-rep')

Jan Algermissen sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 09 Jun 2002 21:55:42 +0200

[Marc]
> | I cannot publish PSI's as I am not an organization with the
> | long-term commitment that publishing PSI's requires, but maybe you
> | could :-)

[Lars]
> You could, Marc. A PSI just needs a publisher. A publisher that will
> be around in perpetuity is better than one that won't, but such
> publishers are in short supply, and people will use what they find
> useful in any case. (That is, don't require things to be so perfect
> before you do them that you prevent yourself from doing anything at
> all.)

Marc,

I had the same understanding as you a short while ago. But it's actually
very simple: If you make a topic map you should tell users of that map
what the subjects of your topics are. The best road to go is, of course,
to find some stable, published resources to use as subject indicators,
but if they don't exist or you don't know them, well, just make an HTML
page, write down what you consider the subject of your topic and publish
that page. Voila, there is your PSI and users of your map will be
glad they have something where they can find out what the subject of
your topic is.

If you find a highly authoritive PSI in the future you can allways add it
and thus contribute to better global information interchange.

Jan