[sc34wg3] Which set is the unconstrained scope? (SAM-issue 'scope-unconstrained-rep')

Bernard Vatant sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 19:42:08 +0200

Marc

Your analysis is very interesting, although I don't share your conclusions. I don't think
I ever expressed on that point, so here goes.

Saying that the unconstrained scope is an empty set is a non-sense, saying it's the set of
all topics in the topic map is as silly as can be, as you very well show ... and saying
it's universal is arrogant :))

What is the natural (implicit) scope in a topic map? Well, it's obvious enough : it is the
topic map itself !
All unscoped characteristics I consider valid in the limits of the topic map I built, but
I can't infer of their validity outside its borders.

So what? If I want to explicit this implicit scope, it contains *exactly one* topic, which
represents the topic map itself.
It's not empty, and it's not universal.

In mathematical terms, if TM is the topic map : unconstrainedScope(TM) = {reified(TM)}

This reified topic map, explicited at merging time, will be the only topic to be
considered by <mergeMap>

It seems to me both intuitive, clearly defined, scalable, and does not seem to raise any
philosophical nor implementation or merging problems. Moreover, demanding that merging
explicits this implicit scope through a reification of the original topic map(s) keeps the
more simple track one can imagine of the merging: original topic maps are represented as
topics in the result of the merging.

And this is a very generic principle. Merging is like gathering information from a third
party ...

If A asserts (x killed y) with no restriction, this means it is valid in the unconstrained
scope of A.
Any third party using this assertion should say : (according to A) (x killed y)

Bernard  - ready for the flame war :o)

Bernard Vatant
Consultant - Mondeca
www.mondeca.com
Chair - OASIS TM PubSubj Technical Committee
www.oasis-open.org/committees/tm-pubsubj/