[sc34wg3] SAM-issue psi-generics (was: SAM-issue term-scope-def)

Marc de Graauw sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 13:20:37 +0200

Apart from all the subject/topic stuff there is another argument to drop the
'topic', 'association' and 'occurrence' PSI's. They are most uninformative.
Since any topic is an instance of class 'topic' by default (unless specified
otherwise, says XTM), there is no information involved that is of any use to
anybody. The user of the Topic Map will not want to see the class 'topic' listed
among the classes of a topic; therefore a Topic Map engine will have to suppress
it, and it makes no sense to me to introduce a property which only needs to be
suppressed later. For the Topic Map engine there is also no useful information
in the PSI, since Topic Map engines 'know' what topics are (i.e. how to process
them) without using this PSI. So to me it seems a piece of redundant
information. Same goes for the 'association' and 'occurrence' PSI's.

Marc