[sc34wg3] SAM-issue term-scope-def

Marc de Graauw sc34wg3@isotopicmaps.org
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 14:25:52 +0200

[Lars Marius Garshol]

> There clearly are consequences. Topics and subjects are not the same
> thing, and should not be confused.

Certainly not. I would hate it if someone created a topic "Marc de Graauw"
and then would claim that I am the same as that topic! I am not a
complicated person, but I think there is more to me than can be caught in
any Topic Map.

> The worst example of this confusion in XTM 1.0 is probably the
> xtm:topic published subject. It seems to say that every topic is an
> instance of the class "topic", which sounds reasonable until you
> realize that it would mean that "tennis" and "Dutch" are instances of
> "topic". They are not; they are instances of "subject".

I do not get this. Since the subjects "tennis" and "Dutch"  are not the same
as the topics "tennis" and "Dutch", it seems reasonable to claim that the
topics "tennis" and "Dutch" are instances of class "topic", and the subjects
"tennis" and "Dutch" are instances of class "subject". So what is wrong with
the xtm:topic published subject? IMO it does not say that the subjects
"tennis" and "Dutch" are instances of class "topic", only that that the
topics "tennis" and "Dutch" are.

Marc